Sunday, July 11, 2010

Watercolor Girl

It's been awhile since I did any watercolors, so I thought I'd give it a try. Watercolors are such a strange medium. First of all, you're allowed really no mistakes, or at least no major ones. And second, it's all a matter of calculation and then rapid painting... at least if you want some nice, flat colored areas. In other words, it's a very different way of doing art then the usual digital method. What I wouldn't give for save points (though I did a couple of intermediate scans so I'd have at least something if I messed up the picture).

Overall, it took me about four hours. I could have done it faster, but I messed up the first one and I didn't want to do the same for the second.


jos said...

How big is the final piece? What kind of stock did you paint on?

Looks wonderful!

Rin said...

I'd guess it's 3" by 3 1/2", fairly small. As for the stock, it was one of those watercolor blocks (which are nice to keep the paper from buckling), lanaquarelle 140lb hot press (100% cotton). I just never liked watercolor paper with a rough texture to it. It seems distracting to me.

tagskie said...

hi.. just dropping by here... have a nice day!

Post a Comment